Contact Us | Donate | Newsletter Signup


Where is Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo located?

18 Rehov Hagilboa   in a lovely, historic area called Nachlaot right in the heart of Jerusalem. We are a two-minute walk from the open air Machane Yehuda market and a 10-minute walk from Ben Yehuda Street. View Larger Map

Do I need to know Hebrew to learn at Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo?

You do not need to know how to speak Hebrew, but it will be easier for you if you know how to read it.

All classes are taught in English, and no prior Hebrew experience is required to participate. Source materials will be in either Hebrew or Aramaic – translations and/or vocabulary lists are provided as necessary.

For the Men’s Beit Midrash, there will be an intensive beginner’s booster program available during the first semester consisting of approximately three hours of instruction per week. Diligent students usually pick up sufficient language skills within one month to six weeks.

For your information, you can download a list of the 500 basic Hebrew words at the following site:

Do men and women learn together at Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo?

In the classes listed as “women only” and the Men’s Beit Midrash, men and women learn separately.  Most of our Community Learning Program is co-ed with separate seating, though some classes are for women only.

Do I need to be observant/Shomer Shabbat to learn at Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo?

We accept and respect students of all backgrounds and denominations.  We don’t impose our views, nor do we have any expectations of what you will be like after you complete your studies here.  At the same time, you should be aware that we are a shomer shabbat yeshiva, and we are located in a relatively observant neighborhood.

How long is the Yeshiva program?

Since we are running a variety of programs, each one is of different length.  Please email us for exact dates. Students are also welcome to join us on a drop in basis.

What are Tuition Fees for learning at the Yeshiva?

The Tuition costs for: The Men’s Beit Midrash Morning Program is $350.00/month.

The Tuition costs for: The Community Learning Program courses vary depending on the number of sessions per course.  In general, the cost is 30 shekels per class. We do currently offer special rates f you register for several classes at once.

We try not to ever turn away students from Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo due to financial reasons, and therefore we do offer partial scholarships for which students should apply.

Do I need to attend Simchat Shlomo for a full zman/ semester, or can I come to study for a short period of time?

We have students learn with us for varying lengths of time, and we are happy to have you for as long or short a time as you would like. We do expect consistent attendance in whatever classes you have chosen to join.

Can I come Part-time or must I be a Full-time student?

Students may choose to participate in Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo’s program as full-time or part-time students. The definition of “full-time” depends on the program, as some programs run five days per week while others may run two or three days per week. Part-time students may choose to attend evening classes, or make arrangements to attend certain day classes. We do expect students to attend their chosen classes on a consistent basis.

Do I need to have health insurance?

Yes. All of our students must be covered by up-to-date health insurance. If you do not already have insurance, we can help you arrange a basic, affordable policy intended for travelers in Israel, through Tvuna Insurance. This policy costs about $1/day and includes hospitalization, visits to doctors, medication, medical tests, etc. Contact Ayelet []. There are other companies available, such as Shiloach.

How do I get from the airport to Jerusalem?

Egged offers regularly scheduled bus service from Ben-Gurion Airport to the Central Bus Station in Jerusalem throughout the day and evening.
Tel: 03-694-8888 for bus schedules.

Nesher offers 24-hour sherut (shared) Taxi service from the airport for approximately 65 NIS.
You can take a private taxi from outside of the departures gate for between 200 and 250 NIS depending on the time of day and how much luggage you have.

Are there scholarships available?

Some partial scholarships are available.  Scholarship requests should be sent to us along with your application/registration forms and include specific reasons for the requests.

How old do I have to be to attend Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo?

You have to be old enough to take care of yourself and young enough to believe that tomorrow the world will be a better place.

If I’m in Israel already, can I drop in and sit-in on a class?

Yes, but it is best to send us an email in advance.

What is the application process for Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo?

Please contact us at

Is there a smicha program?

At the moment we do not have a smicha program. We are, however, considering developing such a program.

How do I keep in touch with my family?

Students can rent cell phones at low rates from one of the three national cellular providers (Cellcom, Pelephone, or Orange), or buy a phone with a pay-as-you-go plan.

Does Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo have a dorm?

Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo does not have a dorm at this time.

However we can provide the following information about renting apartments in Jerusalem:

Monthly rent for an individual sharing an apartment can cost anywhere from $300 to $700, depending on the size, location, amenities of the room/apartment, and number of roommates.

Several basic questions should be asked before signing at contract:

  • How much is the rent and Va’ad Bayit (monthly building maintenance committee fee, similar to a condominium fee)? Rent is commonly quoted in US dollars, although it is illegal for landlords to request actual payment in dollars.
  • How are rental payments to be made? Often landlords require several months’ rent in advance.
  • How is the apartment heated? Apartments with a high Va’ad Bayit fee are often centrally heated. Other apartments will need individual heaters, usually provided by the tenant.
  • Is the water heated electrically or by solar energy (dood shemesh)? The difference in cost (i.e. the electricity bill) may be significant.
  • Is there a telephone?
  • Is a bus line to Simchat Shlomo within walking distance?
  • How much is the lawyer’s fee (if any) for signing the contract? In our opinion, there shouldn’t be, but sometimes landlords ask for it.
  • If you are using the services of a rental agent or agency, don’t be surprised if they ask for an additional one month’s rent.
  • How long is the lease for? Can you or the landlord legally interrupt it?
  • General location: Is the apartment on the ground floor? Are there bars on the window? Is it located on a noisy thoroughfare or a quiet side street?

Some ways to look for off campus housing:

  • Check with any Simchat Shlomo administrative staff for ideas and suggestions.
  • Consult the classified ads in the local press, especially the Friday editions.
  • Check out for Jerusalem rentals.
  • Sign up at an agency, such as Ma’agar Meida, which for a monthly fee, provides you with access to their extensive listing of apartments for rent and to share.

Do I need a visa to enter Israel?

When entering Israel from most countries, the student will receive a tourist visa that is valid for three months. This is issued at Ben Gurion Airport, is free, and will be stamped in your passport. This visa is valid for multiple entries so that you can travel outside of Israel and return during the period of validation without having to get a new visa. If you are unsure whether you can receive the tourist visa at Ben Gurion you should contact your local Israeli consulate.

After three months, the visa can be extended for another three-month period at the main office of the Israeli Ministry of Interior. The visa may be extended every three months for up to a year. There is a modest fee for each extension. With a tourist visa and a student visa you do not forfeit your Temporary Resident/New Immigrant rights should you decide to remain in Israel. Although you enter Israel on a Tourist Visa you can reclassify your visa from a Tourist Visa to another type if you wish such as a student visa.

A Student Visa (A-2) is a multiple-entry visa valid for one year during which time you can leave and re-enter Israel a number of times within the period of validation without having to secure a new visa. Student Visas are renewable after one year both in Israel and abroad. Students participating in the semester or year programs who wish to avoid Tourist Visa renewals may chose to enter Israel on an A-2 Visa.

To request a Student Visa before going to Israel you must appear at the Israeli Consulate in your area to apply for this visa. You can reclassify your Tourist Visa in Israel at the Ministry of Interior at 1 Shlomtzion St. in Jerusalem. The following items must be submitted with your application:

  1. Your passport valid for at least two years.
  2. A letter of your acceptance to Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo addressed to the Consulate of Israel.
  3. For students below the age of 18, a notarized declaration of permission to attend Yeshivat Simchat Shlomo signed by both parents (if possible).
  4. The visa application form in duplicate with one photograph attached to each copy. Forms can be obtained from the Israeli Consulate.
  5. Proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses.

Israeli-born students or students whose parents are or were Israeli citizens are generally not permitted to enter Israel on a Tourist Visa but may need Israeli travel documents. They should contact their local Israeli Embassy for information on obtaining an Israeli passport before they travel to Israel.

How do I access my money while I’m in Israel? Does my American bank card work there?

All banks will cash foreign currency and traveler’s checks. State of Israel Bonds may be cashed into Israeli currency at the Bank of Israel and main bank branches. Students should arrange to have money sent from abroad by bank transfer or by Western Union money transfer to a postal bank. Postal banks do not charge a commission to cash traveler’s checks or exchange foreign currency. Never send cash or personal checks through the mail!!

There are a number of ATMs around Simchat Shlomo. You can use your American bank card at most ATMs, which give instructions in English to holders of overseas cards.


Air France Hilton Hotel Jerusalem 972-2-625-2495
Alitalia 20 Salah A-Din Jerusalem 972-2-628-3515
British Airways Azrieli Center Tel Aviv 972-3-608-1800
El Al 12 Hillel Jerusalem 972-2-677-0200
Iberia Hayarkon 78 Tel Aviv 972-3-516-3239
KLM 124 Ibn Gvirol Tel Aviv 972-3-521-9999
Lufthansa 1 Ben Yehudah Tel Aviv 972-3-514-2350
Olympic Migdalor Tel Aviv 972-3-511-2121
Sabena 1 Ben Yehudah Tel Aviv 972-3-511-6610
South African Airways 23 Ben Yehudah Tel Aviv 972-3-510-2828
SAS 14 Al-Zahara Jerusalem 972-2-628-3235
Swissair 1 Ben Yehudah Tel Aviv 972-3-511-6666
TWA 34 Ben Yehudah Jerusalem 972-2-624-1576

International flights to Israel (except for charters destined for Eilat) arrive at Ben-Gurion International Airport, about 25 minutes east of Tel Aviv and 40 minutes west of Jerusalem.
Ben Gurion Flight Information – 972-3-971-0111
Arrival Information in English – 972-3-972-3344

The buses in Israel are very convenient. For information on times of buses, the number for Egged in Jerusalem is 972-2-530-4704 and in Tel Aviv, 972-3-694-8888. For international travel, students can make arrangements through Lachish Tours (972-561-2282) or Hoffman Tours (972-50-261-702). It takes approximately an hour to reach the airport. Students can use order car service by calling Nesher the day before flight time at 972-2-623-1231.

How can I contact my embassies and consulates in Israel?

Australian Embassy Europe House
Tel Aviv
British Consulate Tower House, David Remez 5 Jerusalem 972-2-671-7724
British Embassy 192 Hayarkon
Tel Aviv
Canadian Embassy 3 Nirim Beit Hasapanut
Yad Eliyahu Tel Aviv
South African Embassy 50 Dizengoff (Top Tower)
Tel Aviv
US Consulate 27 Shchem Rd.
US Embassy* 71 Hayarkon
Tel Aviv

* The consulate on Shchem Road processes visa and passports, and handles all personal matters of US citizens residing in Jerusalem.

It is recommended that students register with the embassy or consulate of their home country. Lost or stolen passports should be reported immediately to one’s consulate and the local police.


What if I have an emergency while in Israel?

  1. Victims of theft or any form of violence should report the incident to a member of the Simchat Shlomo Staff immediately. Alternatively, they should go with a friend to the nearest police station so that proper action can be taken.
  2. At the police station, the student will be asked to file a detailed complaint report.

Emergency Medical Assistance

Terem (Open 24/7) Magen David Building 972-2-652-1748
Matar 105 Hebron Road 972-2-671-7111
Hadassah Hospital Ein Kerem 972-2-677-7111
Sharee Zedek Hospital 12 Shmuel Biet 972-2-655-5111

Emergency Numbers

Police 100
Ambulance 101
Fire 102
Electric Company 103
Municipal Hotline 106